Do-now: Fractions in measurement reviewFor the area units that we used last week, we discovered that...
|1 white = 4 blues||1 blue = 4 reds|
- Fill in the following math sentences, using fractions:
|1 blue = white ||1 red = blue||1 red = white|
- Write out in words how you would say each of the following:
a) 5/8 red
b) 11/4 white
c) 2 3/7 blue
- Convert the following into whites. Your answer will be a fraction or mixed number.
a) 3 blues =
b) 1 white + 5 reds =
c) 2 whites + 3 blues + 1 red
Constructing fractionsOn these problems, a "blue" or a "red" is one of the boxes that the bar is divided into. Fill in the requested measurements, and then circle the one that is larger.
- 1 3/4 blue or 2 3/8 red
- 5/8 red or 1/2 blue
- 3/8 red or 1/4 blue
- 7/8 blue or 1 1/4 red
- 3 1/4 red or 2 3/4 blue
- 1 1/2 blue or 1 7/8 red
- 2 3/8 red or 1 3/4 blue
- 1 7/8 red + 3/4 blue or 1 1/4 red + 1 1/8 blue
Constructing Fractions Homework
- Circle all of the boxes below that are exactly five eighths full.
- Let's call the wide, narrow box in these pictures a "bar". Write in what measurement I am trying to show with each of the following:
- In the previous problem...
a) Compare and contrast the measurements shown in parts a and b.
b) Compare and contrast the measurements shown in parts c and d.
- Using the bar as a unit, draw each of the following measurements: